Attention all white wing weactionaries ("uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh"):
The GOP has decided to run a story attacking Michael Moore (you know, if you dont like the message, attack the messenger)... Heres a link to the "article" from the RNC homepage:
(Interesting that the word "research" was used in this link... did these people graduate from Fircrest? )
So apparently these quote trawlers found this (attributed to Michael Moore) from the "Daily Mirror", the British tabloid equivelant of the NY Daily News:
"They (Americans) are possibly the dumbest people on the planet… in thrall to conniving, thieving, smug p#%$ks.' 'We Americans suffer from an enforced ignorance.' 'We don't know about anything that's happening outside our country. Our stupidity is embarrassing"
First problem - and a big red-flag: In this quote alone, there are several quote breaks and "..." which lead me to believe that parts are missing. I for one wanted to see the whole, complete, unabridged interview (if there even was one)... you know, something about my compulsion to find PRIMARY SOURCE MATERIAL. I guess I shouldnt get too hopeful that these bottom-feeders would be double-checking their sources, but oh well.
Second problem, having taken this "Moore quote" and turned it through a million searches, I came up with a million sites ALL citing this article in the Daily Mirror - BUT NOWHERE ELSE. Furthermore, I cannot for the life of me find this Daily Mirror revelation in any other Newspaper: NY Times - nope, Washington Post - nope, Washington Times - bubkus, London Times - zippo...
So we have here a quote attributed to Michael Moore, but:
- From only one source - a tabloid
- Missing chunks, and without an unabridged transcript with which to compare
- Never repeated or used in any other paper, magazine, journal, etc - except of course, the RNC
Here is your challenge Mr. White Wing Weactionary: Find me (at least) two more primary sources for this Michael Moore quote.
These sources must contain:
- A full, unedited and unabridged transcript of interview including verbatum questions
- Date of Interview, and interviewer
- Some indication from the interviewer that lends legitimacy to the finished product (you know, like a replicant transcript on michaelmoore.com)
So show me the money.
But until then, the RNC can kiss my college educated ASS